{Riley Blake Designs} Grove by Jill Finley


I've always been drawn to lemon prints so when I saw Grove by Jill Finley for Riley Blake Designs, I loved it!  (But Kari, you didn't sew the lemons....  I'll explain that in a bit -  HA! )   This collection is full of citrus-y goodness and you cannot help but smile while sewing any of these prints.  The colorways include yellow, pink, green, orange and charcoal.  I love the variety of prints -- from floral to fruit slices to geometric coordinates.  



As I sat down to select fabrics, I thought I'd select the lemons.  They are my favorite!  But then, I was drawn to the main floral in charcoal.  I always double check with my girls though and well, you can see, she didn't approve my charcoal selection.  She really wanted Grove Main Cloud which matched the lime coordinates.  Soooo, I changed my plan and I am glad I asked her opinion because I'm absolutely smitten by the final result.   For the coordinates, we chose Grove Slices Limeade, Grove Mini Limeade, and Confetti Cotton Treetop.


By the time I sat down to sew it, I also decided to change the original pattern I had planned.  Instead, I sewed up the new Jasmine Dress by Peony Patterns and was so happy to have just enough for the knee length tiered version.  While we love the mini version, we are heading into winter here and I want her to fit in the Spring (in case she grows an inch or two...).  The first time I sewed this pattern, I used a rayon which had beautiful drape, but the sleeves are even more gorgeous and puffy in this cotton.  


I used the Limeade Slices for the lining and a little hairbow (Nara Bow from the Nara Dress pattern by Little Lizard King.  She rarely lets me leave her hair down and curl it, but she was so excited about her new dress that she said yes!  (I had to whip up that bow really quickly though.)


I used the Mini Limeade print for the ruffles at the neckline and as faux piping between each tier and again at the hemline.  For the faux piping, I cut the strips 1.25" wide and folded them in half.  Once my 1/2" SA was sewn, it left me with 1/8" visible.  The hemline, I cut at 1.5" and sewed  it on along the bottom tier (RST) like you would when finishing with bias tape and then flipped it to the back, but purposely left 1/8" showing. (Don't forget to fold the back raw edge in like bias tape for a clean finish!) It was totally worth all of the ironing!


Finally, I used the solid Confetti Cotton in Treetop to make a lime version of the Lemon Slice purse I made back in March for Project Run & Play! I lined it in the Limeade Slices and then added the iron-on with my Cricut!  I want to make a whole citrus collection now!!


This whole collection is so fun and bright!  It is releasing this month so be on the lookout at your local quilt shop or favorite online fabric source!!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature