{Tutorial} How to Make a Reverse Canvas with the Cricut EasyPress 2

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cricut. The opinions and text are all mine.



If you're in any Cricut/crafting group, "Reverse Canvases" are super popular.  As many as I'd seen, I didn't really realize just how easy they are to make!!  When I was challenged to use my EasyPress 2 on a base I'd never used before, I had to give it a try.

By the way, last month, I featured the new EasyPress Totes and while I had thought about how easy it makes transporting my EasyPress2, I hadn't thought about using them as everyday storage in my sewing nook while not in use!!  Keeps it safe and secure and dust-free!!  YAY!

Here's a step-by-step tutorial so you can make your own!

Materials Needed:



Stretched canvases are easy to find!  I got a 2-pack at Hobby Lobby for under $5.  Make sure you choose the ones where the canvas is simply wrapped and stapled.  There were a couple that looked like removing the canvas would be a challenge... lol

I didn't have a staple remover so I used my Cricut 45mm Rotary cutter and Acrylic Ruler and cut along the outside of the staples.


Once you cut around the outside and remove the canvas, you can go back and pull the rest of the remnants that are under the staples.  The corner staples should be raised enough that you can use a flat head screwdriver to remove those.


I know a lot of people stain their frames, but I wanted black frames to match my designs for my daughter's Paris-inspired bedroom so I used spray paint for super quick coverage.  If you use spray paint, make sure to cover your surface beforehand.  I sprayed two coats.


While your frames are drying, prep your designs.  I chose to cut one design on my Maker and for the second frame, I wanted to try out one of Cricut's Iron-on Designs.  I recently invested in a Cricut BrightPad and love how easy it is to weed now!  (Plus, it fits in my top slot on my Maker!)


Note, there is room for error, but this gives you a good estimate as to how to position your iron-on.  Once you have your decal in position, move the frame aside.  Then, you will iron it on according to package instructions.  You can also visit the EasyPress Interactive Quick Reference Guide for temperature and time.  For Cricut Everyday Iron-on, I pressed this for 30 seconds at 340-degrees. Then I flipped it over and pressed for an additional 15 seconds.  Peel immediately.

P.S. In case you're nervous about which side you need to use, you can use whichever!  I used the white side because I wanted it, but if you're going for the rustic look, use the canvas colored side.  You can also paint the canvas and then iron-on on top too!


For Cricut's Iron-on Designs, I used a temperature of 340-degrees and pressed for 50 seconds on the front with an additional 15 seconds on the back.  These are cold peel so I waited two minutes until cool.


Now, you're going to grab your frame again and get it in position.  Using a pencil, carefully trace around the outside of the frame.


Moving 1/4" inward of the traced lines, (marked with yellow, NOT where my ruler is) trim off the excess.  This will ensure that no canvas is hanging over the edge.


Grab your staple gun and start with the corners first.  Then continue around the perimeter.  If you left your original staples in like I did, make sure to not staple on top of one of those!  Finally, add a sawtooth picture hanger on the back top center and it's ready to hang!!


(Unfortunately, I thought I had some nails at home and I couldn't find them anywhere so I still have to hang these on my daughter's wall... whoops!!  Whomp, whomp... crafting fail.  Of course, I waited until the last possible moment to do this project.  #procraftinator)


I am so pleased to have two new framed pictures for her room at the fraction of the cost of just one framed picture.  They will match perfectly with her existing artwork (yes, that's her!!  She was 6 when I transformed her into Coco Chanel for Topstitchers!)




Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature