{Project Run and Play} Pantone Party 2021

 


Woo-hoo, it's my stop on the Project Run & Play: Pantone Party 2021!  I'm going to be honest, I've never really paid much attention to color trends in the past as I just sewed what my girls liked.  However, they are both getting to the age (especially my oldest) where being on trend is becoming important. I've really learned to pay attention to their requests and a lot of times, I give them full creative reign.  For this project, I turned to Pinterest to see how others were incorporating the two colors.  Over and over, I saw separates paired together to make an outfit.


Photo credit: www.pantone.com

Practical and rock solid but at the same time warming and optimistic, the union of PANTONE 17-5104 Ultimate Gray + PANTONE 13-0647 Illuminating is one of strength and positivity. It is a story of color that encapsulates deeper feelings of thoughtfulness with the promise of something sunny and friendly.  (www.pantone.com)

 I teamed up with KnitFabric.com who was completely generous and supplied me with all of my fabrics for this project.  I've been a customer of KnitFabric.com for a few years now and I'm always happy with how quickly my order is processed, the quality of the fabrics and I've even gotten a few "Bonus: End of Bolt" surprises.  As I browsed the site for my fabrics, I realized I could select color filters so I chose gray and yellow which really allowed me to not get distracted by all the other fabrics.  HA!  I was originally planning to sew for just my oldest, but decided I couldn't leave out my younger daughter too.  There was quite a selection in the both colorways and I have to tell you a few of the chunky sweater knits were super hard to pass up.  However, we are heading into Spring and Summer here so I had to be somewhat practical and decided on Sporty Summer looks.


OUTFIT #1



My oldest has become a little obsessed with fashion which is to be expected as she enters middle school.  She also likes the sporty look which fits in with her classmates.  To pick my patterns, I headed to the Project Run & Play Shop.  She originally wanted a Journal Jumpsuit (but I really wasn't sure how it'd look in all yellow!) Instead,  I chose the Becky Skirt and then turned to her favorite, the Chromium Cropped Hoodie to complete her look.  


Both patterns are drafted for knits which has quickly become her favorite base to wear.  For the Becky Skirt, I found a Light Yellow Cotton Lycra Knit.  It's such a great color!  For the Chromium Cropped Hoodie, I found a Light Gray Bamboo Jersey Knit.  The colors for these were pretty spot on with the Pantone Colors.  I love the added softness of the Bamboo.  The Becky Skirt ended up being her favorite and both girls have requested more!  


I added a few grommet details at the side hems (see title picture) as well as the hood and skirt waistband.   She really loves little details added on and is already thinking about a long sleeved version.  Because this outfit ended up being my Plan B, my original gray knit I ordered wasn't enough for the Chromium.  Luckily I had ordered a little extra of the light gray bamboo and had just enough, except for the hood lining.  Instead, I made a facing which I think is perfectly lightweight for summer nights.

OUTFIT #2



For my younger daughter, she really loved the Bodhi Boardskirt I made her sister last year when the Project Watercolor Beach Collection launched and boardshort material was on my list of substrates to try this year.  I paired it with the Banana Boat Tee and added a handcut rainbow in shades of yellow.  I ordered Yellow Boardshort for the skirt and used the Light Gray Bamboo Lycra for her shirt.  (I missed seeing the Banana Yellow Boardshort which is a lighter yellow and may be more in line with the Pantone color)


I left off the shoulder strap detailing on the tee, but loved the little cuff at the end so I kept that detail. For the rainbow, I used Yellow Cotton Lycra, Light Yellow Cotton Lycra and the center is a scrap of light yellow sweatshirting I have in my stash.


I used a lot of grommets on this project...lol  I added waist detailing to the Bodhi Boardskirt (thanks Kelly of Sew A Little Seam -- it's a free add-on to her Linden Pattern) and added grommets to the pocket too.  I topstiched all the seams in a gray thread.


We went to our local downtown and used their yellow tablesets as our background.  I do wish I had been able to finish these sets 2 days earlier because it was WAY warmer then.  Little sis was cold and cranky here so I didn't have my usual large abundance of pics to choose from this time.  They both love the outfits I sewed though so I'll call that a win!!  My oldest wore her hoodie to school the very next day!

Now it's your turn to join the party!!  See all the details HERE!!  
Two winners will receive $50 to Raspberry Creek Fabrics!

1 comment on "{Project Run and Play} Pantone Party 2021"
  1. Oh wow! Every single detail is so amazing!! I'm in love, and so is my tween...she just added everything to her wish list!! I'm obsessed with that ombre rainbow, great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature