{Project Run & Play} Week 2: Transformation


Hip hip hooray!!  We've made it to Week Two of Project Run & Play and before I give you all the details of this week, I just want to share a heartfelt thank you from both my girls and me!  We pour every ounce of creativity into our creations and photos and your support means the world to us!  Now on to this week!


Week 2: Transformation
From one season to the next, from day to night, from garment to accessory…  This week you’re going to show off how your look can act like a chameleon and change to fit the occasion.


The moment I was given this prompt, my wheels have been turning as I found this one to be the most challenging of the 4 weeks.  Finally, inspiration struck and I decided to celebrate my oldest daughter as she leaves elementary school and enters middle school in the Fall.  She has really become quite the fashionista lately so I came up with a 4-piece REVERSIBLE quick capsule that she can mix and match to her heart's content.  I picked out her favorite colors and set to work.

Piece 1:  Reversible Dress/Skirt

The main piece of the collection is a combination skirt/dress that is self-drafted (except for the pockets).  I chose a lightweight hot pink solid, black ponte knit and a funky-patterned lightweight woven.  It can be worn as a strapless tube-style dress or the top can flip down into a yoga waistband to become a skirt.  For the pink skirt, I also added the pockets from Little Lizard King's Carmelo Dress. 


Piece 2: Reversible Ruffle

Next, I drafted an optional reversible ruffle using both skirt fabrics.  Because both fabrics share the color hot pink, you can wear either side with either skirt/dress.   There is hidden elastic between the top layers.  I added a halter tie at the request of my daughter which also doubles as a decorative bow when the ruffle is worn on one shoulder.  The ruffle is also long enough to be worn as a crop top halter with the skirt option.  The ruffle can be worn off the shoulder too (as opposed to under arm), but we forgot to take those pictures... whoops!  Halter is her favorite way to wear it!



Piece 3: Reversible Tank Top

I knew my daughter would want the option of wearing something more casual some days so I grabbed a super sweet pink with hot pink polka dots cotton lycra and some black mystery knit and made a tank top.  I started with the bodice of the Wimberley Dress by Little Lizard King and lengthened it to tank top length.  I really love the scooped back of this pattern and by using the burrito method, it's easy to make it sleeveless.  I hemmed each side independently to reduce bulk at the hem and she can easily tuck the inner side into the skirt if she wishes.


Piece 4: Reversible Mini Backpack/Cross-body Purse

When I was browsing Cali Fabrics for my pre-season shopping spree, I came across their selection of Oil Cloth and I fell in love with the Black Polka Dots on White and had to have it!!  My oldest loves purses and mini back packs and I had a feeling oil cloth would be perfect.  I turned to the Animazing Backpack Add-on by Little Lizard King and sewed up the mini size but modified the straps to transition from backpack to cross-body or shoulder purse.  I also made it a reversible cross-body or shoulder purse in a solid black.  I haven't used oil cloth before and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to work with.  I didn't even need my Teflon foot!  I couldn't iron after each step like I normally do, but it finger-pressed really well!  You cannot rip any stitches though so you have to be precise the first time or you'll have holes.


There you have it!!!  She's in love and promptly stole it away to add to her closet.  If you haven't had a chance to vote yet..... CLICK HERE to vote (Remember, select your two favorite!)

Fabric Details:
  • Patterned Fabric: Lightweight woven from Hobby Lobby (I think.  It's possible it was a mystery bolt from Walmart).  
  • Hot Pink Fabric: Hobby Lobby Sale Bin last year.  If I recall, it may have been a rayon blend of some sort.  It definitely has a very nice drape.
  • Black Bodice/Skirt waistband: Black Ponte Knit from Hobby Lobby.  
  • Black Tank: Lightweight Black Knit (possible ITY) from Walmarts Pre-cut Mystery packs.  It is so soft and definitely more challenging to work with than cotton Lycra
  • Pink Polka Dot Tank: Stenzo knit from Mabel Madison.  
  • Black Purse - Mystery fabric from CVAN (thrift store in town that aids battered women)
  • Black Polka Dotted Backpack - Oil Cloth from Cali Fabrics

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature