{Riley Blake Designs} Honey Bee by My Mind's Eye

 


Bees and I have never gotten along -- just ask my mom how many plates I broke outside growing up because I thought a bee was near me.  HA!  But bees on fabric are super cute and more my speed.  Bees always make me think of summer so I knew a summer dress was in order.  

Honey Bee by My Mind's Eye for Riley Blake Designs is a stunning palette of black, parchment, daisy and taupe.  The main prints and the coordinates of wildflowers, plaid, honeycomb, and more all mix and match making the possibilities endless. 

Normally when I select fabrics for a new fabric collection, I choose a main print and maybe a coordinate.  This time, I loved so many together that I chose FOUR prints!  I chose Honey Bee Floral Parchment, Honey Bee Honeycomb Daisy, Honey Bee Honeycomb Parchment and Honey Bee Plaid Black.


I knew immediately I'd be adding hand embroidery to the bodice, but first I had to decide the perfect dress.  I almost sewed up a new Siena, but then was reminded recently how much I love Amsterdam by Little Lizard King. Luckily, I could easily switch gears and I'm so glad I did!


I added one of the designs included in the Madeira Hand Embroidery by Little Lizard King.  I love that embroidery allows you to customize the colors to perfectly compliment your fabrics.  Instead of using white for the daisies (which would not have shown up on my fabric), I chose to turn them into Black-eyed Susan flowers.

I added a colorblocking element to the bodice so I could keep my original plan of fabric placement.  To do this easily (without piecing it all together and risk forgetting additional seam allowance), I cut out the bodice from the embroidered panel.  Then I folded under the sides at a slight angle -- I just eyeballed this step.  Once I had it how I liked it, I pressed the edges in place.  Next, I took small strips of the plaid (folded in half) and slipped it under the edge.  Finally I overlaid it a bodice cut in the daisy colorway and topstitched my overlay on top.  To reduce bulk before lining it, I carefully cut away the extra fabric underneath the overlay.


I love the unique back on this dress.  Plus, it is elastic so even if she hits her growth spurt this summer like her older sister did, she can still fit this!  

I also added a ruffle to the bottom of the skirt.  My ruffle is 1/3 the height of the main skirt (roughly).  If you decide to add a ruffle, remember to add in the seam allowance needed to attach it to the skirt.  I cut double the width of my skirt which gives a nice amount of gathering.


My daughter always appreciates when I add hand embroidery.  She sees me working on it and knows it adds time to my creating process.  

I topped off her look with a Nara Bow which is seriously my go-to bow.  I'm pretty sure she has over 20!  It sews up in under 5 minutes and then you hand tie it and slip in a clip.  Of course, I always sew it up last minute too!


Be sure to check with your favorite fabric shop
to get your yardage of Honey Bee!! 

We love it!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature