{Riley Blake Designs} Designer Knits


Yay!!!  Riley Blake Designs' Designer Knits selection is growing 💗  Over the past few years, knits have inched their way to being my favorite fabric to sew.  My girls reach for their knit selections far more frequently as well.

I was even more excited to see Glam Girl included in the next wave of knits arriving.  (Visit that post here).  I quickly decided on the Glam Girl Black Floral Sparkle and the coordinating Glam Girl Main Pink Sparkle

Y'all -- when it arrived, I couldn't believe how soft it is!!!  Downright dreamy.  It's a 4-way 50% stretch 95/5 cotton Lycra blend.  It had minimal shrinkage, low curling when the edges were cut and was super easy to sew.  The greatest testimony: the bottom ruffle of my dress is about 17-feet long and I didn't feel like pulling my hair out sewing it!!  HA!!


I knew I was going to turn the Black Floral Sparkle into a Wimberley Dress.  I'm obsessed with that pattern at the moment and my daughter is too!  I originally got the Main Pink Sparkle to sew up some shorties to wear underneath her twirly dress but then I decided it was far too pretty of a knit to hide under a dress.  I grabbed my pattern piece for the Tacoma Cardigan and had just enough for the single ruffle version.  Both patterns are by Little Lizard King.


  I normally cannot pass up the ruched sleeves on the Wimberley Dress, but thought they might be a bit bulky under the sleeves of the cardigan so I decided to make it sleeveless.  Fun fact:  Sleeveless isn't actually an option in the pattern, but I just used the "burrito roll" method to sew up the armscye and I was on my way.  


The scooped back is so sweet.  I used a lightning bolt stitch on the inside of my bodice and didn't have any problems with wavy seams.  To attach my skirt, I add clear elastic to the bottom of the bodice to help stabilize the weight of the skirt added on.  I then zig-zag the skirt on in order to catch part of the clear elastic in the seam allowance.  


Because this knit is so soft, the drape is really amazing.  This is a gathered circle skirt with added ruffle and it just falls so nicely into place.


The rose gold sparkle on pink is really stunning in real life.  This cardigan is unlined and while the knit has great drape (especially when it's all gathered), it has enough structure for unlined projects. Bonus: This cardigan will pair nicely with the Glam Girl woven Siena Dress I made last month!  #winning

I am so incredibly impressed with the quality and softness of this knit.  I highly recommend!!! Thank you Riley Blake Designs for this happy mail package!!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature