{Winterberry} by My Mind's Eye for Riley Blake Designs



Hey y'all!!! Happy Christmas in July!!! It's a tad hard to think about Christmas when it's averaging near 100 degrees daily, but Christmas Eve is 5 months from today 🤯

Thanks to My Mind's Eye and Riley Blake Designs, my youngest and I had fun planning a new Winter dress in a fun Christmas plaid -- just one of many fun fabrics in the Winterberry fabric collection.  Winterberry offers an assortment of plaid, pine trees, poinsettias, flurries, Santa heads and more in 3 colorways -- red, green and black.


It was really hard to pick!  I really loved them all.   I knew if I didn't pick the plaid though, I would regret it.  I chose the black colorway -- Winterberry Plaid Black and then grabbed some Winterberry Flurries Red for lining or accent. 


Of course, then I had to pick a pattern and the little sundresses I've been sewing lately just didn't work with the winter-y theme.  I turned to my secret sewing board on Pinterest and found a pin that I had saved a few years ago.


Of course, the pattern I'd need didn't exist, but I do love a good modification so I started with a muslin (so I wouldn't screw up my pretty plaid).  I got lucky and it fit great the first time through!!  YAY!


The pattern I started with is Lenox by Little Lizard King -- I shortened the bodice several inches, added a mini ruffle collar and mini "V" opening at the center neckline, 3/4 sleeves with elastic above the elbow and added a gathered skirt in lieu of the circle skirt.


My daughter was ridiculously excited for this new dress.  She even surprised herself and fell in love with the mini ruffle at the collar.  I realized after I had taken pictures though that I had meant to add a little red bow on the front from the Red Flurries that I had lined the dress with.  Have you ever done that?!  I was so happy that the pouring rain had stopped just before I finished the dress and I was also trying to beat the dinner timer that I was in a rush to grab pictures before more rain came.  (I guess I have 5 months to add it... lol)


One of my favorite things about sewing plaid are the built in cutting guides! HA!!  Seriously though, I figure out where I want my hem or seam line and then I just cut it accordingly and it all lines up!! (with pins of course!)   Every single seam line is lined up -- so worth the extra bit of effort!


One of the reasons I needed to make a trial run was to ensure I'd have enough ease to get the dress on overhead without a placket since I had shortened the bodice by several inches.  Since Christmas is 5 months away and she's bound to grow some, I did size up in length and width.  I used a 5 width and 7 height.  For the skirt, she'd normally wear it a bit shorter so if she doesn't grow as much as I think, I'll hem it again at the preferred length.


As we walked out into the summer heat, she said it'd be really cool if it snowed right now!!!  As much as I love Summer, I'd love for a quick snow flurry to fall to cool things down.  (I'm sure some of my Australian sewing friends would love to send us some!)


My kids are not alone, I'm sure, but they count down to Christmas literally all year long.  SO, of course I had to add below how many "sleeps" are left until Santa arrives.  Grab your stash of Winterberry because Christmas is coming!!!

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature