{Riley Blake Designs} Leafy Keen by Amanda Niederhauser


My youngest entered middle school last month which means her style has started the shift away from being too "kiddish and young".   Luckily, I've already gone through this with my oldest so I've learned to take a step back and give complete control over the design process.
 


One thing that never becomes too "young" is animal print.  The moment I saw Leafy Keen by Amanda Niederhauser for Riley Blake Designs, I knew it would meet my daughter's new requirements.  I loved the unique color combination of shades of pinks, gold, and greens.  We ended up picking 5 different prints -- 3 for a dress and 2 for a coordinating mini backpack.  We chose Leafy Keen Main Blush Sparkle, Leafy Keen Cats Hunter, Leafy Keen Sketch Daisy, Leafy Keen Sketch Razzmatazz, and Leafy Keen Spots Clover.


Earlier this year, I designed a mini backpack for a travel themed pattern capsule for Project Run & Play.  My pattern, Passport to Paradise Mini Backpack became a quick favorite for my girls and they loved that they could order a matching accessory to their new outfits.  


On this version, I decided I wanted to incorporate a few techniques I learned from the Little Lizard King Vada Backpack pattern.  By adding a zippered slip pocket to the front lining and moving the zipper forward, I could enclose the gusset/front panel seam which makes it a little neater inside (and a quicker finish).  The back panel/gusset seam was finished with handmade bias.

I also added a fusible fleece stabilizer to add extra structure.  I will likely forgo that on the next version because it ended up a little wrinkly after turning it out.


I love the deep gold that matches the kitties on the green fabric.  My daughter was super happy to see a bonus pocket inside too!


For her dress, she picked out the Posie Dress by Peony Patterns.  She loves the extended shoulders, large pockets and the overall fit of the dress.  I love that you can add in a coordinating fabric on the side panels.  I added the Razzmatazz Whiskers as faux piping and the little pop of color looks great!

She styled it with her white tennis shoes and a gold hair tie on a high pony.  She looks sporty and cute!  Apparently tennis shoes with dresses are very "in".   I'm learning as I go.. haha.


There's just enough twirl to satisfy her.  HA!  I hope she never outgrows that!  I will admit, it's a little harder to go through the shift with my youngest.  It doesn't seem possible that she's inching closer to being a teenager.  

What will you make with Leafy Keen?  Check your local quilt shop to pick your prints -- the collection is already in stores!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature