Pattern Review: Citron Twist Shrug by Candy Castle Patterns


Hello!! I'm Kari, from That's-Sew-Kari.  I am so excited to be back for another round of Bundle UP!  And this bundle is just for us!  I can't wait to sew my way through it and create an entire new wardrobe! My first item in the bundle is the Citron Twist Shrug by Candy Castle Patterns.

I first discovered Candy Castle Patterns last summer when I had the opportunity to review her first pattern - The Bubblegum Dress - and I've sewn every pattern since then.  All 20 (or so) of them!

Closeup of bindings -- applied like traditional bias tape!

The Citron Twist Shrug isn't an ordinary shrug.  It slips on easily over your head, the front is fully lined and comes in two different views.  You can sew the traditional wrap style or dress it up by sewing the bow front version.  Make the bow center with snaps and you can remove it or switch out the color whenever you fancy!


Photo source: www.candycastlepatterns.com with permission


Pattern Highlights:


  • Sizes: 11y (Junior) to 5x (chest sizes 29.25" - 45.75")
  • Pattern Pieces:  12 pages, nested in color; 4 total pattern pieces
  • Tutorial: 41 steps that span 18 pages - well organized in grid/chart format
  • Charts included: Sizing, yardage, and binding measurements
  • Tips on working with knit



  • The front is fully lined so when you twist the center, you don't have the back of any fabric showing.  Use the same fabrics or switch the lining up for a fun twist.  I think I'm going to sew up a removable bow center so I can dress this up if I choose.

    Back view

    The Citron Twist Shrug is easy to cut and fast to sew.  The instructions take you through every single step, making it very beginner friendly, especially those new to knit!  My advice:  Read through the entire pattern first to learn the process and to avoid any pitfalls.... like forgetting to mirror image the front piece when you cut.  


    I used a black and white striped knit with a hint of silver sparkle framing the black stripes from Funkalicious Fabrics.  Her knits are so yummy and soft!  I paired it up with white skinny jeans, making this outfit casual, yet stylish.  Black and white are my go-to colors.


    I will definitely be making more of these!  Most sizes use less than a yard of knit and the results are fast.  The Citron Twist fits great is very comfortable.  Oh, and nursing mommas?  This shrug is NURSING FRIENDLY!  Two testers included nursing pics to show how easy it was.  Wahoo!

    Come show off your creations in the 

    and don't forget to "Like" Candy Castle Patterns 
    on Facebook, too!

    Check out the Euro Fabrics and fancy bias tape in the Fabric Shop
    and the rest of her patterns in the Pattern Shop!

    OH, and of course, Bundle UP!! You deserve it <3


    Be First to Post Comment !
    Post a Comment

    Custom Post Signature

    Custom Post  Signature